James River Church Life Group - Sheri Smith
Lesson #1 The New Normal - by John Lindell
Foreward and Prologue
Book of Joshua in the Old Testament
pg. xiii The boundaries of the lands and frontiers we are called to occupy are not created by human hands but authored by a generous and loving heavenly Father, who desires to bless His children.
2 Corinthians 6:11–13 (The Message)
11 Dear, dear Corinthians, I can’t tell you how much I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. 12 We didn’t fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren’t small, but you’re living them in a small way. 13 I’m speaking as plainly as I can and with great affection. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!
- Don't settle! There is more!
- It's not what people can do for us, but what God can do through us!
- today is the day to start living it!
- when you take ground the enemy loses ground
- Joshua saw possibility where others saw obstacles
- through faith in Jesus Christ
- don't stay in what you are used to if it isn't God's best, we can get used to anything even in the wilderness
- stop talking about the problem, past hurts, obstacles and find the Word of God that brings life to the issue and see the Promises of God
- See future through lens of faith
- don't just visit the promised land, but dwell in it
- imagine a different kind of life and week, see the vision God has for you and take the steps necessary to enter into it.
- Moses died. Something had to die for Joshua to lead the Israelites into the promised land.
- Often times we stay where we've always been until tragedy displaces us and moves us forward.
- It's time to stop living in the past and live a new story.
- It's time to stop walking in circles in the desert and instead walk prayer circles around our obstacles in the promised land to see deliverance (Jericho)
- stop walking circles in the wrong place over things that are in the past, same dead ends.
- new land, a new place where we have to go spiritually, emotionally, and maybe geographically
- stop living a story you inherited or that was given you and start living a story of your own that God has given you walking in faith, following God.